(1) The Institutional Review Board is created within the Department of Health in order to satisfy federal requirements under 45 C.F.R. part 46 and 21 C.F.R. parts 50 and 56 that an institutional review board review all biomedical and behavioral research on human subjects which is funded or supported in any manner by the department.
(2) Consistent with federal requirements, the State Surgeon General shall determine and appoint the membership of the board and designate its chair.
(3) The department’s Institutional Review Board may serve as an institutional review board for other agencies at the discretion of the State Surgeon General.
(4) Each board member is entitled to reimbursement for per diem and travel expenses as provided in s. 112.061 while carrying out the official business of the board.
(5) The department shall charge for costs it incurs for the research oversight it provides according to a fee schedule, except that fees shall be waived for any student who is a candidate for a degree at a university located in this state. The fee schedule shall provide fees for initial review, amendments, and continuing review. The department may adopt any rules necessary to comply with federal requirements and this section. The rules must also prescribe procedures for submitting an application for the Institutional Review Board’s review.