(1) The department shall establish a Florida Motorcycle Safety Education Program. The program shall be funded as provided by ss. 320.08 and 322.025.
(2) The department shall establish and administer motorcycle safety courses. The department shall prescribe the curricula for such courses, which must include a minimum of 12 hours of instruction, at least 6 hours of which shall consist of actual motorcycle operation. The department may adopt or include courses, curricula, or materials developed by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation or by other traffic safety groups determined to be comparable by the department.
(3) The department shall prescribe the qualifications for certification of instructors in the program. The department may include the qualifications specified by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation or by other traffic safety groups determined to be comparable by the department, and may recognize, for purposes of certification, instructor training provided by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation or by other traffic safety groups determined to be comparable by the department, as fulfilling the department’s training requirements.
(4) Every organization shall be approved by the department before it may conduct motorcycle safety courses. The department may enter into agreements with organizations to provide for such courses. Such agreements shall include provisions for compensation of the costs of conducting the courses. Students may be required to purchase insurance as required by the organization providing the course.
(5) Each organization that provides an approved motorcycle safety course may charge a registration fee, not to exceed $20 per student. This fee must be refunded if the student completes the course. However, any student who registers for, and does not complete, the course must forfeit his or her registration fee. Forfeited fees may be retained by the organization that conducts the course.
(6) The department may adopt rules to implement this section.
(7) On and after January 1, 1989, every first-time applicant for licensure to operate a motorcycle who is under 21 years of age shall be required to complete a motorcycle education course as established pursuant to this section. Proof of completion of such education course shall be presented to the driver license examining office prior to such licensure to operate a motorcycle.