(1) A person who acts as a consumer collection agency must be registered in accordance with this section.
(2) In order to apply for a consumer collection agency registration, an applicant must:
(a) Submit a completed application form as prescribed by rule of the commission.
(b) Submit a nonrefundable application fee of $200. Application fees may not be prorated for partial years of registration.
(c) Submit fingerprints for each of the applicant’s control persons in accordance with rules adopted by the commission.
1. The fingerprints may be submitted through a third-party vendor authorized by the Department of Law Enforcement to provide live-scan fingerprinting.
2. A state criminal history background check must be conducted through the Department of Law Enforcement, and a national criminal history background check must be conducted through the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
3. All fingerprints submitted to the Department of Law Enforcement must be submitted electronically and entered into the statewide automated biometric identification system established in s. 943.05(2)(b) and available for use in accordance with s. 943.05(2)(g) and (h). The office shall pay an annual fee to the Department of Law Enforcement to participate in the system and inform the Department of Law Enforcement of any person whose fingerprints are no longer required to be retained.
4. The costs of fingerprint processing, including the cost of retaining the fingerprints, shall be borne by the person subject to the background check.
5. The office is responsible for reviewing the results of the state and national criminal history background checks and determining whether the applicant meets registration requirements.
(3) The office shall issue a consumer collection agency registration to each person who is not otherwise ineligible and who meets the requirements of this section. However, it is a ground for denial of registration if the applicant or one of the applicant’s control persons has committed any violation specified in this part, or is the subject of a pending felony criminal prosecution or a prosecution or an administrative enforcement action, in any jurisdiction, which involves fraud, dishonesty, breach of trust, money laundering, or any other act of moral turpitude.
(4) A registration issued under this part is not transferable or assignable.
(5) A consumer collection agency shall report, on a form prescribed by rule of the commission, any change in the information contained in an initial application form, or an amendment thereto, within 30 days after the change is effective.
(6) Renewal of registration shall be made between October 1 and December 31 of each year. There shall be no proration of the fee for any registration. In order to renew a consumer collection agency registration, a registrant must submit a nonrefundable renewal fee equal to the registration fee and a nonrefundable fee to cover the costs of further fingerprint processing and retention as set forth by commission rule.