Online Sunshine Logo
Official Internet Site of the Florida Legislature
December 1, 2021
Text: 'NEW Advanced Legislative Search'
Interpreter Services for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
Go to MyFlorida House
Go to MyFlorida House
Select Year:  
The Florida Statutes

The 2021 Florida Statutes

Chapter 684
View Entire Chapter
F.S. 684.0046
684.0046 Application to set aside as exclusive recourse against arbitral award.
(1) Recourse to a court against an arbitral award may be made only by an application to set aside an arbitral award pursuant to subsections (2) and (3).
(2) An arbitral award may be set aside by the court specified in s. 684.0008 only if:
(a) The party making the application furnishes proof that:
1. A party to the arbitration agreement defined in s. 684.0003(1)(c) was under some incapacity or the arbitration agreement is not valid under the law to which the parties have subjected it or, failing any indication thereon, under the law of this state;
2. The party making the application was not given proper notice of the appointment of an arbitrator or of the arbitral proceedings or was otherwise unable to present its case;
3. The award deals with a dispute not contemplated by or not falling within the terms of the submissions to arbitration, or contains decisions on matters beyond the scope of the submission to arbitration. However, if the decisions on matters submitted to arbitration can be separated from those not so submitted, only that part of the award which contains decisions on matters not submitted to arbitration may be set aside; or
4. The composition of the arbitral tribunal or the arbitral procedure was not in accordance with the agreement of the parties, unless such agreement was in conflict with a provision of this chapter from which the parties may not derogate, or, failing such agreement, was not in accordance with this chapter; or
(b) The court finds that:
1. The subject matter of the dispute is not capable of settlement by arbitration under the law of this state; or
2. The award is in conflict with the public policy of this state.
(3) An application to set aside an arbitral award may not be made after 3 months have elapsed after the date on which the party making that application receives the award or, if a request had been made under s. 684.0044, after 3 months have elapsed after the date on which that request had been disposed of by the arbitral tribunal.
(4) The court, when asked to set aside an award, may, if appropriate and so requested by a party, suspend the proceedings to set aside the award for a period of time determined by it in order to give the arbitral tribunal an opportunity to resume the arbitral proceedings or to take such other action as in the arbitral tribunal’s opinion will eliminate the grounds to set aside the award.
History.s. 47, ch. 2010-60.