(1) An employing agency is authorized to pay any costs of tuition of a trainee in attendance at an approved basic recruit training program.
(2) A trainee who attends such approved training program at the expense of an employing agency must remain in the employment or appointment of such employing agency for a period of not less than 2 years after graduation from the basic recruit training program. If employment or appointment is terminated on the trainee’s own initiative within 2 years, he or she shall reimburse the employing agency for the full cost of his or her tuition and other course expenses.
(3) An employing agency is authorized to pay the required fee for an applicant to take the officer certification examination on one occasion.
(4) An employing agency may institute a civil action to collect such cost of tuition and other course expenses as provided in this section if it is not reimbursed, provided that the employing agency gave written notification to the trainee of the 2-year employment commitment during the employment screening process. The trainee shall return signed acknowledgment of receipt of such notification.
(5) For purposes of this section, the term “other course expenses” includes the cost of meals.
(6) This section does not apply to trainees who terminate employment with the employing agency and resign their certification upon termination in order to obtain employment for which certification under this chapter is not required. Further, this section does not apply to trainees attending auxiliary officer training.
(7) Notwithstanding the provisions of this section, an employing agency may waive a trainee’s requirement of reimbursement in part or in full when the trainee terminates employment due to hardship or extenuating circumstances.