790.165 Planting of “hoax bomb” prohibited; penalties.—
(1) For the purposes of this section, “hoax bomb” means any device or object that by its design, construction, content, or characteristics appears to be, or to contain, or is represented to be or to contain, a destructive device or explosive as defined in this chapter, but is, in fact, an inoperative facsimile or imitation of such a destructive device or explosive, or contains no destructive device or explosive as was represented.
(2) Any person who, without lawful authority, manufactures, possesses, sells, delivers, sends, mails, displays, uses, threatens to use, attempts to use, or conspires to use, or who makes readily accessible to others, a hoax bomb commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
(3) Any person who, while committing or attempting to commit any felony, possesses, displays, or threatens to use any hoax bomb commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. Notwithstanding any other law, adjudication of guilt or imposition of sentence may not be suspended, deferred, or withheld. However, the state attorney may move the sentencing court to reduce or suspend the sentence of any person who is convicted of a violation of this section and who provides substantial assistance in the identification, arrest, or conviction of any of his or her accomplices, accessories, coconspirators, or principals.
(4) Subsection (2) does not apply to any law enforcement officer, firefighter, person, or corporation licensed pursuant to chapter 493, or member of the armed forces of the United States while engaged in training or other lawful activity within the scope of his or her employment, or to any person properly authorized to test a security system, or to any security personnel, while operating within the scope of their employment, including, but not limited to, security personnel in airports and other controlled access areas, or to any member of a theatrical company or production using a hoax bomb as property during the course of a rehearsal or performance.
(5) In addition to any other penalty provided by law with respect to any person who is convicted of a violation of this section that resulted in the mobilization or action of any law enforcement officer or any state or local agency, a person convicted of a violation of this section may be required by the court to pay restitution for all of the costs and damages arising from the criminal conduct.
History.—s. 39, ch. 87-243; s. 5, ch. 90-124; s. 5, ch. 90-176; s. 20, ch. 93-406; s. 1215, ch. 97-102; s. 3, ch. 2002-28.